I am the black lamb in my herd....I am a wolf in sheep's blogging.....Welcome to the dark side of the sheep.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Neepawa: Ewe Will Feel Like You've Gone Back In Tme.


Growing up, Back to the Future was one of my favorite movies, I loved the town of  Hill Valley and so many other small towns that I see in movies today, I've only ever lived in the city, but being an old soul I've always had  love for that small town feel and no matter the decade, just the sense of feeling you are in a simpler time, the preserved buildings, the town barber, the character old fashioned movie theatre, rather than the plain jane multiplex.

Today, I had the pleasure of visiting Neepawa for the first time with fellow classmates Ryan McBride and Pam Vernaus, and had I known Manitoba had it's own version of Hill Valley just two hours outside of Winnipeg, I would have made the trip much sooner.  The whole look of the town is very soothing as you drive in, a little hilly, the style of the homes look like something you may see in old Connecticut. We parked on Hamilton Street right across from the building you see above which is the oldest courthouse in the prairies and oldest buildings in town. It was constructed in 1884 and is still used today.

Across the street from the courthouse is the Roxy Theatre, it was built in 1903 and originally used as an opera house and for vaudeville acts, it was the social hub of the community.
A committee of 19 volunteers keep it running and only the projectionist and caretaker are paid. They show a single show on weekends and during the warmer season, add a Wednesday and Thursday showing as well.

We were fortunate enough to get a hold of one of the volunteers on the committee and get a tour inside. All the lighting is original and some of the seats are 1939 art decor, while other seats came from the King's Theatre on Portage, when that became Royal Sports.
Under the theatre was once a bowling alley and now it is used for the storage of props and equipment of the Whitemud Theatre Group who frequently put on shows there as well.
I have to admit with me being an old soul and movie buff, the tour of the theatre was one of the highlights to me for sure.

If I ever had the money and planned on staying in Winnipeg, I would ressurect the Metropolitan Theatre and show old movies there, and try to bring an element of class back to our downtown.

While Neepawa, has a few bigger outfits like Safeway, Subway, and Home Hardware to name a few, most of the businesses that line Mountain and Hamilton Street are small local businesses and shops such as Hymie the Haircutter, an old fashioned barber shop.

The majority of the homes in Neepwa are bungalows or two storys. One of the exceptions to this rule is a home on Second Ave that was built by local lumber merchant William Burley in 1903. Featuring bracketed eaves, fishscale shingles and two sets of two storey bay windows. This home is now the Garden Path Bed and Breakfast and owned by George and Susan Phillips.


George was a little busy when I knocked on the door but he let me in for a moment.

My first impression of him and the home made me decide on the spot that I will be going back there to spend a few days for some post CreComm R&R, perhaps during the Lily Festival. The rooms I managed to see on the main level were exquisite with old country charm and big windows that I was told face out on to a beautiful garden while a fish pond with 3 large coy is out back.

I was hooked and even more so when I asked George what  a typical breakfast might be, he listed off many items, starting with saskatoon berry pancakes, I needed to hear no more. Yum.

Another great home that should be on anyone's list would be the one of renowned author Margaret Laurence.This character home is located on First Street and Laurence lived in it from 1938 to 1944, she is famous for many of her works including the "Stone Angel".



The Stone Angel is just to the right when you drive in to the Riverside Cemetery and is beautiful. This place looked magical in the winter as the tall spruce trees and rounded shrubs were capped in white. I wanted to make snow angels among the dead all afternoon, but I was on a time crunch.

Laurence had her ashes brought from England to Riverside Cemetery, but even more interesting, Riverside Cemetery is the only place in Manitoba where one of the recovered passengers from the Titanic is buried.

Leonard Hickman worked on Honeyman farm, near Neepawa, in 1911, his love of Canada sent him back to England in 1912 to bring his brothers over. During a coal shortage, and a time when the Titanic took precedence their original source of travel became that of the Titanic. At the time Leonard Hickman was discovered, all evidence pointed to it being him, it wasn't until the day of the funeral, it came to the famil'y attention that in fact it was the body of Leonard's brother Lewis. Burial carried out as planned as Lewis was buried as Leonard.



This small town just oozed history and magic of small town life that often draw us in, in certain films. It is a place this sheep, could seriously consider be put out to pasture in.  

Blah Blah Blog Sheep. Out.




No comments:

Post a Comment